Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Twitter Will Turn You Into A Uncompassionate A**hole



I just read a CNN report where scientists at the University of California are saying that "the streams of information provided by social networking sites are too fast for the brain's 'moral compass' to process and could harm young people's emotional development."


Their arguement is that when humans hear some saddening news, its difficult for them to have any real compassion because within seconds they are getting a new tweet or blip in the form of a news update or just some random persons thoughts.

I kinda felt like that the other day when I heard about an associate's family dying in a car crash. Granted, I didn't know the guy like that and never met any of his family, but I felt kidna bad tweeting "you're in my prayers" one second and then jumping back into a "whats your favorite No Limit album" debate less than five seconds later. So, I just chilled and took a moment of silence on twitter until the next day if I remember correctly.

How do you feel about twitter and the potential impact it can have on people's compassion levels?

No comments: