Tuesday, April 14, 2009

XXLMag.com Black Ice Archives: "Third Time Is A Charm"




Once upon a time I used to hold down a blog column over at XXLMag.com called Black Ice. I was hired to be the "Southern blogger" but of course I took it beyond that at times. For the most part though, I covered Southern Hip Hop in what I thought to be an intelligent and insightful way. Every once in a while I'll stumble across something on the web that will remind me of something I wrote over there.

Today it was the news that Little Brother would be reuniting in its original line up of Phonte and Big Pooh as the emcees with 9th Wonder holding down the production.

Almost immediately Twitterland went bananas with everyone weighing in on what they thought of the news. For the most part, people don't seem to be too much looking forward to a Little Brother album where 9th Wonder will be handling all of the production again. *raises hand to agree*

Little Brother's last album Get Back was their first without 9th Wonder handling all of the production and to me it sounded the best out of all of their work. I wrote a blog at Black Ice comparing the album to other notable 3rd albums from duos: 8Ball & MJG's On Top of The World, UGK's Ridin Dirty and Outkast's Aquemini.

Hearing everyone from Small Eyez to Spree Wilson to Jacinta Howard to Anthony David weigh in on the news of today made me go back and dig for the article I posted back in 2007. Figured I'd share it with ya'll. Hope you enjoy.


XXLMag.com Black Ice Archives: Third Time Is A Charm

No comments: