Wednesday, May 27, 2009

MG Re-Post: "Hip Hop Needs Some Pussy" (2007)



So me, the illustrious Saptosa Foster and the homie Aqua had a brief exchange on twitter last night about the absence of a female MC population in Hip Hop right now.

The brief chat reminded me of a post I made over at my old Myspace blog...

I titled it "Hip Hop Needs Some P*ssy." I titled it that because at the time, rappers was acting like they hadn't gotten any in while. Everybody was beefing. Everybody was complaining. Dudes was just wilding out in general. Signs that they aren't getting any. I accredited their behavior to not enough estrogen being in Hip Hop to balance out all of that testosterone. It got a decent response back then, so since I got reminded of it, I figured I'd share it with ya'll (copied & pasted verbatim) today if you didn't catch it back then.

===================================================================================

Hip Hop Needs Some P*ssy (2007)

[Claimer: Erykah Badu, The Roots and Common all feel that Hip Hop is a girl (H.E.R.)...I tend to disagree, it looks like a dude to me. {Austin Powers voice} Its A Maaaaan, Baaabaaay}]

This has been on my mind for a minute, and I'm sure I'm not the first or last to speak on this...but damn, where are the female rappers?

Yeah yeah yeah...I know that there are "some" out there in the most generic sense of the word, but really, where art thou? As a writer, I pay attention to who gets put on the cover of rap magazines. And um...I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a pretty face on one. I mean, Kimora Lee Simmons was on the cover of The Source this past month, but does that really count? Eve popped up in the current XXL, but she was the only female feature in there, and if my memory serves me correctly, she was the first female to be in there for a hot lil' minute.

I mean got damn, where are the girls at? Sure, yeah, we have women in the videos dancing and in the magazine posing, but where are the ones with something to say? You know, the ones with brains (not those kind, get your mind out the gutter). And yeah, I know we got people going crazy over this Lil Mama girl (I saw a freestlye of hers, she can really go), but can I get more than 1 or 2 at one time? Is that being selfish? Is that too much to ask? To see more that Lil Mama and Eve?

Granted, female rappers were never the bulk of the rap population, but damn, you at least had a couple options. I remember times when I was watching Rap City or YO! MTV Raps, seeing videos by Queen Latifah, MC Lyte and JJ Fad all in one sitting. There were other times when I could see Salt-N-Pepa, Bo$$ and Concious Daughters on the same show. Fast forward to a day where I'd see Rage, Da Brat and Dis N' Dat (thats Bass Music for those of yall who dont know) and fast forward again to a time where I'd see Foxy Brown, Lil Kim, Bahamadia and even Nonchalant at the same time. And the beautiful thing about this is that, I KNOW I left out hella names! Meaning there was even more to pick from or leave alone. Don't get me wrong, just like there were/are some wack as dudes rapping, there were/are some was ass females. All I'm saying is, its nice to have options.

Yes, I know there are about eh, 17 female rappers out there right now. I get Myspace friend requests and mixtapes from quite a few of them, I just dont care for the lot of them because all they rap about is taking my money or shoving my face in their special place...and I dont wanna hear that shit no more than women want to hear dudes tell them they gonna pimp them and tear their p***y up.

Damn, what was I saying....yeah, where are the options? I know people say that Hip Hop is mysogonistic and demeans women, but shied....I find the thought of no women being around period, more frieghtening than the thought of them being disrespected. If these gangstas aint careful, they gonna go from saying "fuck yall hoes" to "damn, where the hoes at?" {i use that term comedically and loosely, and it wasnt meant to offend or imply}.

Hip Hop is starting to remind me of those nights in the club where there aint NOOOOO females. Ya'll know what I'm talking about fellas. Hip Hip is looking like a Sword Fight, a Sausage Party, a Testosterone Tangle, a Hardleg Convention.

I mean, I don't know about ya'll...but when I was a kid, I wasnt one of those boys that said "ew, yucky" when a girl came around. Granted, I wasnt the perv looking up girls dress and grabbing ass everyday at P.E. and Recess, but I wasnt one of those "No Girls Allowed" treehouse ass niggas neither got dammit. But damn, thats what Hip Hop is looking like to me right now...dudes are not liking girls. What does that shit mean? I mean whats really going on?

And to the ladies, I ask? Did the fellas chase you out of the party? Or, while I'm sitting here complaining, hell, I might need to realize that sheid, maybe women dont want to rap anymore. Thats fair, because there are times when I don't want to listen to rap my damn self. So, if thats the case, thats completely understandable...I only wish that some of your male counterparts would take the same action and just, stop rapping...because just like Herby Luv Bug hinted on S&P's "Push It"...."It aint for everybody!"

I dunno man...Hip Hop needs some women dawg. Folks talking about Hip Hop is Dead or its dying...no it aint...its going through a dry spell...Hip Hop needs some pussy...thats all. I mean, look at how these dudes are acting. They slapping 14 year olds, having petty ass fights, recording diss videos in their boxers, walking around angry all the time and going to Oprah for help with communicating with the sistahs....yep {deep breath}, sounds like somebody needs some pussy...Dudes wont have time to be mad and all up on each other and in each others business if they're preoccupied with the opposite sex.

So yeah man....stop jacking off (ego masturbating) and go get some ass Hip Hop...I guarantee you'll feel better. But don't just run up in anything tho...quality over quantity. And if it aint with a woman you want having your kids, use a rubber...last thing we need is some more bastardized rappers running around...and I imagine that you dont want to catch nothing either...

your thoughts please...

(oh yeah, shout out to all the Female DJs putting it down out there)

===================================================================================

So, two years after, it seems like the situation has gotten worst. How do ya'll feel?

1 comment:

Nanci O said...

if you think hip hop needs some pussy then check out the glennisha morgans site the fembassy...she keeps up with darn near every femcee out here grinding

www.thefembassy.blogspot.com