Saturday, September 12, 2009

Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame Roast



Not sure if you caught Jordan's HOF speech last night, but here it is for your viewing pleasure. Anyone that knows me knows that I have been a die hard Hawks and Dominique Wilkins fan from the jump (except for brief lapse from 92-95 when I was going for Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning and the Hornets). So needless to say, I never was just a Jordan d*ckrider, er, fan like that. Hell, up until four months ago I was probably the only Black man in America to had never owned a pair of Jordans (they were damn near free, thats the only reason I got them). Yeah its that deep...

But, I can't deny the man's impact on the game of basketball. So he is more than deserving to be in the Basketball Hall of Fame. But I also can't deny that his speech last night was pretty damn tacky. Dude sounded like a sore winner. Dude was bringing up things that we, but obviously not he, had forgotten about or didn't even think of anymore. He talked about the supposed "freeze out" in the 1985 NBA All Star Game and called out Isiah Thomas, George Gervin and Magic Johnson. He bragged about having Hawaiian hotel suites and how he had Pat Riley removed from his preferred suite at his command. Dude even flew in the guy that beat him out for the final spot on the high school varsity team.

Of course, nothing is wrong with being confident. Everyone should think they are the best at what they do. But, for Mike to take this moment that was meant to honor him (as if he hasn't been honored his whole career) and turn it into a "ha! take that" session was pretty lame. For crying out loud, the only time he brought up his kids in the speech, he said "I wouldn't want to be you guys." Not surprising from a dude who compared winning his 4th championship (his first since returning from retirement) to the birth of his kids. He kept talking about his "competitive nature"...when really he was just up there being an asshole.

But yeah, this is going to be one of the few times, if not the last times I'm mentioning Jordan on this pro-Hawks/Dominique blog of mine. So enjoy.

1 comment:

FireBrand said...

fuuny, as a knicks fan, I hate that nigga too. I will never own jordans or even drink gatorade.