Thursday, August 12, 2010

Random Jam: Masta Ace "Born to Roll" x "Masta Inc Ride" x "Sittin on Chrome"



These songs popped up in my head the other day. Might've been because I was listening to Gibbs' rendition of "Born To Roll." Fully aware of Masta Ace's contributions and legacy, but really, it wasn't until "Born to Roll" that I really got into him like that. Not an excuse because I've gone back and listened and researched, but his Juice Crew stuff was coming out when I knew more about Rick Flair and Hulk Hogan than I did about rap music.

I remember seeing this video and thinking "damn! who are all these light-skinned girls!" Guess you can say Masta Ace introduced to me (and a few of you too) to fineness of our Latin sistas. I also remember seeing this video on YO! MTV Raps and hearing Ed Lover and Dr. Dre borderline hate on the song and video, talking about Masta Ace was selling out to West Coast. Matter fact, I remember hearing that quite a bit from NYC based outlets. Which is in sharp contrast to what we hear and read nowadays from the same folks saying that his Slaughtahouse album was "acclaimed."

Ace kept this sound going on his next album Sittin' On Chrome with the singles "The I.N.C. Ride" and "Sittin On Chrome." I could be wrong, but outside of a couple Dr. Dre videos, Masta Ace was probably the only cat that actually showed car culture in his videos, with the Hispanic community included in it.


3 comments:

QuantumPeach said...

woooow! I was at MJQ a few months back and they played "sittin on chrome:, i almost had a seizure i was so geeked! LoL

H.L. said...

Damn I wish my computer could play these tracks.

Mr.J said...

Thanks for this article homie! I'm going to find my copy of that album right now.